If you are someone who has been suffering from pain arising due to nerve difficulties, Gabapentin medicine is a name that you are bound to have heard of. The drug is also a useful drug when it comes to treating seizures and a wide variety of other issues. One can also find doctors recommending the drug to patients suffering from the side effects of other ailments such as shingles. While the drug has a wide range of uses over the spectrum, it is most commonly used to treat nervous disorders such as epilepsy and convulsions.
How to calculate the dosage?
The dosage is purely determined by a doctor or a pharmacist when it comes to the drug. The weight of the dose prescribed depends on several factors, such as the patient’s previous medical records, history, and any existing medical complications that they might have. Apart from that, when it comes to children, the drug is administered in minimal amounts as it can lead to severe effects in kids if not administered carefully. It is typically consumed with food, but it can be finished on its own if a doctor prescribes so.
The drug does not tend to show any signs of working overnight. Instead, one needs to take them over time to see the progress being made. The drug works the best when its levels within the body are being maintained at a constant level with no severe ups and downs. For most adults, the dosages would be multiple times a day, and sudden withdrawal from the drug can lead to a bunch of other complications. It is also recommended that if one takes antacids alongside the medication, the time is around 2-3 hours before consuming it.
What are some of the side effects associated with the drug?
- Some people have reported feeling lethargic, with their energy levels dropping low and the need to sleep increasing on average.
- Others say that they have witnessed an increase in the feeling of being nauseated.
- Many people have also reported vomiting and dealing with symptoms that closely resemble diarrhea.
- In others, extreme mood changes have been observed. This is expected since the drug mainly focuses on working on the nervous system.
- In rare cases, the drug has also contributed to increased water retention in the body, leading to swollen arms and legs.
- One can also experience blurred vision along with a dry mouth.
- In men, the drug can lead to sexual impotence for prolonged durations as well.
- A common side effect associated with the drug is weight gain.
- In rarer cases, it may create headaches and lead to memory problems.
- In extreme cases, the immunity might be compromised, and the person might witness increased rates of infections.
Like any other drug, gabapentin price is available only with a suitable prescription. It is recommended that one consults a physician or healthcare worker if they decide to consume it. In case of any anomaly, it is recommended that they contact emergency healthcare services immediately.